Skip to product information
1 of 7

The Gently Mad Book Shop

The Adventures of Big-Foot Wallace ; Texas Ranger & Hunter Mexican-American War

The Adventures of Big-Foot Wallace ; Texas Ranger & Hunter Mexican-American War

Regular price £38.40 GBP
Regular price Sale price £38.40 GBP
Sale Sold out
Tax included.
The Adventures of Big-foot Wallace, the Texas Ranger and Hunter ((Facsimile Reproduction)

By John C. Duval

Originallly published by Claxton, Remsen & Haffelfinger, Philadelphia 1871 and here re-published by The Steck Company, Texas, 1947. Hardback book, 8vo, with 291 pages, illustrated.

A very good clean copy. The cloth binding is in very good clean condition and the gilt to the spine remains bright and clear. Endpapers very good. Name written to front endpaper. All pages in very bright clean condition throughout. All contents present. A very good facsimile edition.

William Alexander Anderson "Bigfoot" Wallace (April 3, 1817 – January 7, 1899) was a famous Texas Ranger who took part in many of the military conflicts of the Republic of Texas and the United States in the 1840s, including the Mexican-American War.

Wallace was born in Lexington, Virginia. When he learned that a brother and a cousin had been shot in the Goliad Massacre, he set out for Texas to "take pay out of the Mexicans"; years later, he confessed that he believed the account had been squared. Wallace was a large man at 6'2" and 240 pounds in his prime.

Wallace fought at the battles of Salado Creek, Battle of Hondo River, and Mier. Some of his most graphic memories were of his experiences in Perote Prison after having survived the Black Bean Incident. Wallace later participated in the Mexican-American War Battle of Monterrey and the Comanche Wars.

In the 1850s Wallace commanded a ranger company of his own, fighting border bandits as well as Native Americans. He was so expert at trailing that he was frequently called upon to track down runaway slaves trying to get to Mexico. He drove a mail hack from San Antonio to El Paso, and on one occasion, after losing his mules to Comanches, walked to El Paso and ate twenty-seven eggs at the first Mexican house he came to-before going on to town for a full meal.

During the Civil War he helped guard the frontier against Comanches. At one time Wallace had a small ranch on the Medina River on land granted him by the state of Texas.

The later years of his life were spent in South Texas in the vicinity of a small village named Bigfoot. He never married. He was a mellow and convivial soul who liked to sit in a roomy rawhide-bottomed chair in the shade of his shanty and tell over the stories of his career. Wallace was personally honest but liked to "stretch the blanket" and embroider his stories.

Wallace died on January 7, 1899, and shortly thereafter the Texas legislature appropriated money for moving his body to the Texas State Cemetery.
View full details